Sunday, January 8, 2012

great expectations

i tend to hold myself to very high standards, especially when it comes to school. even though i was at a junior college before coming to ucsc and wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible, i just couldn't adopt the "i don't care" attitude. naturally, the expectations that i place upon myself have only grown since i started last quarter. as i sit writing this, upon the eve of the first day of my second quarter at the university, i can't help but be filled with a little bit of anxiety and trepidation as to what these next two and a half months will hold. what if last quarter was just a fluke and the real work will start now? (probably not). what if somehow i choose the three hardest classes in the entire course catalog? (come on, it's literature, not likely). but still, amongst all these oh-so-pleasant and encouraging thoughts, there is the anticipation and excitement that school still brings me.

today i spent part of the afternoon hiking around campus, finding my classes, and timing (yes, literally with a stopwatch app) how long it would take for me to get from one to the other. with the sun shining it feels more like i am leaving summer vacation behind me rather than winter. i pulled out and dusted off my old converse today. they were perfect for tramping along the redwoods as i watched my timer ticking away.


 i love "science hill" on campus. all of the concrete stairways and high concrete walls remind me of something right out of the wicked witch of the west's castle. 

this one feels a little senior portraity...

 still cannot believe the view from campus on clear days like this

cardigan, ponytail, blue jeans and cons - i must be ready for school
 pretty amazing place to immerse oneself for learning, if you ask me

<3
 


No comments:

Post a Comment